Monday, June 6, 2016

Change of place - and change of language...

     Thanks for the update on grandma.  I love her so much! I'll be thinking about her.

Glad to hear school is out for Jonathan! And what is he doing this summer?  Sometimes summer life can be even more busy. Sounds like a lot of changes in the ward. Congrats to all those heading out on missions soon.

        So, I had changes last week! I'm now in an area called Chirijox. The people here don't really speak Spanish. They speak what is called K´iche. Sacrament meeting and all of church is in K´iche. I've been pretty lost trying to understand it, but little by little I'm learning the language. Don't think I'll have a lot learned anytime soon but I'm trying. It's pretty much all with the throat.  I'm so grateful a member comes with us for a few hours almost every day. They are so nice to spend their time in that way. It's a huge help! Having members with us helps so much in teaching and contacting. If you can go out with the missionaries, do it.

        The culture is very prevalent here. Lots of Corte, tipico and huipil. My companion is again from the Dominican Republic. His name is Elder Mendoza. He's a convert of about 5 years ago and he's awesome! super funny. I'm excited to work hard this last change.

        I came across a couple scriptures in my personal study this week. In Helaman 13:19-21, it explains how the people had their hearts focused on riches and not for the purposes of God. This lead many times to their downfall. Later, when Christ came to the Americas, he explains in chapter 13:19-21  ¨Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and thieves break through and steal; But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.¨  Got me thinking, what is my treasure? Where is my heart? I know we should be focused on God's purposes and not our own. As we do so, we will prepare ourselves for an eternal home.

Anyways, hope all is well back home! Have a great week. Jesus is our Savior.

Elder Hicken







No comments:

Post a Comment