Monday, December 14, 2015

Sharing Christ in Christmas

Thank you mom for sending not one but two packages to celebrate this jolly time of the year.
Elder Cevallos and I with our stockings - Thanks, Mom!

Christmas is such a special time to share the gospel with everyone in a variety of ways. I was really impressed to hear that everyone in 3rd hour at church went to visit someone and invite them to church this Sunday. So cool to hear about the youth orchestra as well. I will say, when I first got to the new area, my companion said I had a good voice. Next thing I know, I`m programmed to sing in Sacrament meeting on Sunday.  I ended up singing Hark the Harold Angels Sing with a member.

I had changes! After being in Xela for 9 months, I was sent to Huehuetenango.

I`m in the center of the city, and my comp. and I share the area with sister missionaries. Even though we live in the city, we mostly work on the outskirts in a small town about 15 mins. away in bus. It`s called San Lorenzo. We definitely walk a lot but I`m gettin` the hang of it.

My companion`s name is Elder Cevallos. He is from Ecuador. He`s been out in the mission now 1 year and 3 months. He has 2 younger siblings, and they`re twins. He is a very hard worker, funny and a strong leader.

We already had a baptism! His name is Fernando.

He was baptized last Saturday and confirmed Sunday at church. Not a lot of people came to the actual baptismal service but there was a nice spirit there. I`m so grateful for the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ, for the priesthood and for all the people who sacrificed so much so as to build the kingdom of God.
Me, Fernando, Yamilet his girlfriend, and Elder Cevallos

Sunday night, my comp. and I were contacting really far away, hoping for a miracle. We wanted to find a new family to teach. At about 8:30pm we find a woman named Ilda. She lives with her husband and daughter. As we were talking to her, her brother-in-law and his wife came walking down the street. We began talking with all three of them and in the end they allowed us to share a short message. We showed the video from the Christmas initiative and they were really touched.  
 They accepted another visit and committed to read the Restoration pamphlet! An answer to our prayers.


Hope everyone has a great week! Chao!

Elder Hicken

No comments:

Post a Comment